Monday, April 14, 2008

a peek into the future

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you the lovable, charming, and oh-so-elegant Fancy Llamas!


These two characters are the result of a little side project I've been working on since my birthday when I received a pair of matching canvases, some paints and paintbrushes. I finally finished the paintings late last week. I am now on the lookout for a pair of ornate, antique picture frames that are suitable to showcase the portraits of such fancy llamas as these...I'm looking for (preferably) matching frames, 16 X 22 inches, if any one knows where I might find something like that.

I had such a great time painting these pictures. I usually approach everything, even my hobbies, with a sense of seriousness and perfection that ends up getting in the way of the joy of creativity. When I write (which has traditionally always been my creative expression of choice) I'm constantly thinking, "Is it okay to say that? Will people get what I mean? Does that sound okay? Is this appropriate for my intended audience? What is my intended audience?" etc. etc. etc. until I end up feeling pretty stressed and stifled. The act of painting these portraits completely released me from that type of self-censorship. I have no history in painting, and I had no purpose in painting except to enjoy it, and it was wonderful to the point of being exhilarating and inspiring in itself. These two llamas have come to represent a state of absolute creative freedom for me...this renewed and rediscovered joy of a pure, uncensored imagination. These llamas have made me realize how to let go of all my little hang-ups in the process of creating something, and just go for it. After all, I painted them completely for me...I wasn't thinking about getting them into a gallery, or worrying about what people would think of them. I painted them because the two blank canvases made me think of those old-style oil portraits and I thought it would be funny to paint portraits of an animal instead of a human. It was like a personal joke, and that was all it needed to be. I had no idea that it would end up being so liberating.

I bring all of this up because it was in the process of creating these Llamas that I realized what I want my focus to be, and that is what I've been working on since then. I have some new projects in the works that are not quite ready to be unvaled yet, but they will be soon...the Portaits of The Fancy Llamas are peek into where I'm going, not so much with painting but with the inspiration that I got from it.

My friends, the future has become a little more exciting. I can't wait to share it with you!

2 comments:

Christopher said...

These llamas are SO AWESOME IT DEFIES BELIEF. I love them! I can't wait to see what sort of stuff you come up with next!

Perhaps this isn't really the place to ask, but I was wondering what your final decision was regarding the job offer? It was great talking to you last night, and I'm sorry about the abrupt ending; I think there must be a time limit on collect calls. Anyway, I'd love to know what you decided!

Your brother,

Christopher

Anonymous said...

haha, thanks! I was pretty happy with how they turned out, too.

As for the job...I AM SO TORN. I seriously flip from going, "it probably won't be that bad, and at least it's something new" to "No way. I don't want a career like this," at least once every ten minute period. It's making me feel ill. I really just need to make a decision and then let myself feel okay about it, BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW. I was supposed to give my answer today, but The Boss isn't in the office today so I think I can get away with waiting until tomorrow morning.

BLARG.

Anyway, it was great talking to you last night...I'll send you an e-mail sometime soon before this comment turns into a novel.

Your sister,
Alison