Friday, May 30, 2008

new things

I'm happy to say that in the last little while I've been getting better at making time for the creative and crafty things that I enjoy oh-so-very-much, and I'm actually pretty excited to show it all off...but, I am not quite ready to unveil it all yet. Soon. There are exciting things coming...soon.

But it the meantime, I've been meaning to show you:

First all, forgive the mess that surrounds me in this picture (what was I thinking?? Why didn't I at least move the broom before taking the picture??) Anyway, ignore the laundry and try to focus on what I'm wearing. This is a dress that my mom made for a dance when she was in high school in the early '70s (I think...Mom, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I was SO excited when we found it in her closet, because it really seriously is a cool dress. It's so flower child, but it's also reminiscent of the waistlines and cuts from the early 1800s, a la this formal overdress that I saw at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.

As much as I liked the flower child dress in it's original state, I also wanted to make it more wearable for every day life in the here and now, and since I'm not likely to be going to any high school dances anytime soon, I decided to shorten it:

Now I just need the weather to actually get warm enough that I can wear it.

This next project I made yesterday. It's for Joel's cousin's new baby:

I made it out of a pair of fun kid's socks that I bought at a local store. It turned out so cute that I wish I could think of a reason to keep it for myself, but that wasn't the point, so I guess I'll give it away. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be an all-time-favourite plaything in the baby's life. I have a monkey of my own that definitely filled that role for me as a child (and beyond...but really, that monkey is just another story altogether, so we won't get into that now). Anyway, my point is, what child can resist a monkey?? They're just so lovable!!!

I have a number of other things in the works that I will be sharing VERY soon, but they are part of a much bigger thing that isn't quite ready to be revealed yet. Stay tuned, however...there is much more coming!

No comments: